The Symbol of Isfahan’s Unique Architecture; Siosepol 
The title of this article would remind the reader of the spectacular, unique architecture of Isfahan, one great example of which is Siosepol standing elegantly on Zayandeh Rood River. Built between 1599 and 1602, the construction was financed and supervised by the Georgian chancellor of Abbas I, Allahverdi Khan Undiladze. It consists of two superimposed rows of 33 arches. There is a larger base plank at the start of the bridge, under which the Zayandeh Rood flows, supporting a tea house, which is nowadays abandoned.
Siosepol was built on the foundations of an older bridge to connect the part of the city where Muslims lived to Armenian quarter of Isfahan, i.e it linked the Muslim quarter on the north bank with the Armenian quarter across the Zayandeh Rood river. It also connected several gardens on the two parts of the city. Functioning as both a bridge and a dam (or a weir), the bridge also served a primary function as a building with a pavilion in the center of the structure inside which Shah Abbas once sat admiring the view. Now, remnants of a stone seat is all that is left of the king's chair. This masterpiece is the grandeur and beauty of Iranian architecture and was a place where many ceremonies used to be held by Safavid Royals.
Apart from providing the residents of Isfahan a means of crossing the river without getting their shoes muddy, Siosepol also offered itself up as a monumental promenade, fit for grand processions and casual evening strolls. Over 400 years, the bridge was also used as a venue for public meetings and ceremonies like the Armenian epiphany, and Iranian Nowrooz. Armanians in particular used to have aquatic feasts in the middle of summer, pouring water and golab on each other. During Nowrooz the bridge used to be decorated with light bulbs for seven days. The lights on the bridge give it a stunning view as every single arch has its own flashes of light to make the site a shining spot which attracts many more visiters at night than during daylight.

This bridge is located in the southern end of Chahar Bagh Avenue in Isfahan and was named after its founder, Allah Verdi Khan, the Gorgian chancellor of Shah Abbas. It is also known as Jolfa bridge, Chehel cheshmeh (forty springs), and Sioseh Cheshmeh (33 springs). 
It is 295 meters long and 13.75 meters wide. It is said that the bridge originally comprised 40 arches however this number gradually reduced to 33. The construction work of this bridge was completed concurrent with the construction of Chahar Bagh in 1596.

The most astonishing feature of the bridge is the architecture and the designation of its 33 arches. This structure consists of two rows of 33 arches from either side, originally decorated with artistic tiles and paintings. The bridge has a sidewalk on the top and another one with a ceiling near the water level. The lower level rests on piers, separated by 33 arch sluices where the river can flow past. These sluices give the bridge its name, "Siosepol ". Some Georgians claim that the bridge has its name based on the number of characters in Georgian alphabet. Others say thirty three is the sign of Anahita, the goddess of water. All these claims however, has been rejected based of historical facts and sources.
Mostafa Khan-e Mostowfi the mayor of Isfahan in 1912 saved the bridge by setting free the illegally overtaken land around the bridge, and putting up a huge stone wall on northern side of the brifge, so that water would flow freely. The remainders of the wall is still in place. In that time the Armenians weren’t allowed to cross Siosepol and step on the Muslim side of the city for trades. There was a square near the bridge designated for such gatherings.  
Si-o-se Pol Bridge is built by the chancellor Allahverdi Khan Undiladze on commission from Shah Abbas whose chancelor he was. Construction of the bridge began in 1599 and ended 1602. However in some references it is stated that the lower part of the bridge was constructed in 1597 and the upper parts completed in 1603 in an attempt to prevent probable floods from damaging the unfinished structure. 
This glorious structure was designed by Hasan Bana, who had also designed Lotf Allah Mosque. The bridge stands on the widest part of Zayendeh Rood, where the water is shallow so that the foundation of the bridge would be safe enough to endure erosion. It also provides spectacular view over the river itself. The lower parts of the structure is made of bridge while the upper parts have been covered by plaster and sarooj (mortar made of sand, clay, egg whites, lime, goat hair, and ash in specific proportions)
On the two ends of the bridge there are chambers and small iwans, saved in their original shapes, are suitable places for people to take a reset while they are passing the bridge. The ceiling of the arches and iwans 
Being the longest bridges on Zayandeh Rood, Siosepol consists of 99 niches and pillars, 7 to 9 meters high each, which guarantees the strength of this magnificent work. During Pahlavis, there was a statue of Reza Shah on a horse mounted in front of the bridge. However, it is not there anymore. In the north-eastern part of the bridge, there is the tomb of Kamal-e-Din Isma'il. There is a street with his name as well, extending along the Punjabi and Khaju.
In the past Siosepol provided six pathways: one main path for horse riders and daily promenade, two paths of sides of the bridge which passed through beautiful galleries, two went along the roof of those galleries from where people would enjoy the spectacular view of the river at times of flood, and the sixth path would rich the base of the bridge through a delicate stairway, serving passersby with a route at times of low flow. Today only one upper and the base paths are in use.
Several western travelers throughout history have admired the glorious architecture of Iran. This structure was registered as a national heritage in 1931.

Weather Icon

33.988918, 51.440735


( - )



Wind speed



Leave a comment